There are many benefits of shaving with a Double Edge Safety Razor, for me the most obvious benefits are the Cost Savings and the Experience. Here are my favorite aspects of shaving with a Double Edge Safety Razor:
- DE Blades are really inexpensive and can cost as little as .13 cents per blade. Typical razor cartridges run for at average cost of $3.50 each.
- One blade should last you for about 2-7 shaves depending on the brand.
- A good quality DE Razor and shave brush can last you many years, even a lifetime. Some can even be heirloom pieces.
- Artisan or Traditional Wet Shaving soaps and creams can be really inexpensive ($4 – $5 for 125g). There are some amazing soaps or creams that cost only a few dollars per ounce and can last for up to several months.
- Double Edge Safety Razor blades are made of stainless steel and are recyclable. So if you are wondering can double edged razor blades be recycled? The answer is yes. Shaving with a safety razor is perfect for those living a Zero Waste lifestyle.
- Collect used DE Blades in a Bade Bank, put them in an old tin soup can, generously tape the lid shut, mark the can with sharps/biohazard and take it to your local metal recycler. Click here to download this nifty printable can label. This printable label works perfect for a DIY (do it yourself) recyclable safety razor blade bank.
IRRITATION FREE SHAVES
- Reduction of ingrown hairs. With multi-blade cartridges, as the first blade cuts the hair it simultaneously pulls the hair away from the follicle which causes the other blades in the cartridge to cut the hair follicle below the surface, which can lead to ingrown hairs and razor burn. Some refer to this phenomenon as Hysteresis.
- A Safety Razor will only cut your hair to the surface of the skin and this is typically achieved by multiple passes, thus achieving a much better shave in my opinion.
- Traditional Wet Shaving is a process and requires a bit of preparation work and these steps help lead to an irritation free shave. These steps include Preparation, Lather, Shave, Rinse, Sterilize, Hydrate and Clean.
- Many compare traditional wet shaving to a “Zen” experience, which is true in my opinion.
- Taking your time and using the right tools and process transforms shaving from a chore into a truly enjoyable experience.
- Artisan or Traditional Wet Shave soaps and creams are often Cruelty Free, Paraben and SLS free.